Club History

We are looking for volunteers to help piece together more of the history of the Cricket Club. If you are interested or can help please contact the club’s Fundraising and Promotion Officer

Coalpit Heath Cricket club was first established in 1845, making it one of the oldest clubs in the area. There are many old photographs from around the turn of the 20th century which are displayed in the clubhouse. Many will recognise names such as Tremlin and Tovey that have been synonymous with the club for many years.


1845 – Club founded

1898 – Earliest documented Club AGM held

1910 – Manor Field Pavilion erected

1948 – Frank Thornell took 8 for 7 v Winterbourne

1950’s – Club disbanded due to lack of players following the war

1960 – Club reformed, following WWII

1962 – Second team began playing again regularly

1965 – Sunday team started following a change of attitude by the Church authorities

1973 – Entered the Bristol & District League

1974 – Entered the National Village Knockout for the first time

1975 – Third team established

1977 – Club house at Manor School completed and opened as a social club

1979 – Coalpit Heath XI play Gloucestershire County Cricket Club

1982 – Land purchased for the cricket club at Churchleaze

1988 – New clubhouse and facilities completed. Third XI started.

1989 – First league season at Churchleaze

1990 – All three sides top their respective divisions

1998 – Youth cricket initiative started

2004 – Fourth XI started

2010 – Coalpit Heath u17s win West of England cup competition, narrowly loosing out to South Wales

2014 – 1XI reach B&D T20 Bateman Trophy final

2016 – 1XI reach B&D T20 Bateman Trophy final

The location “Churchleaze” is named after two Coal Pits Churchleaze 1 & 2 which are located the other side of the lane from the entrance to the club house.  You can still just about see a depression in the field opposite the clubhouse marking the entrance to Churchleaze 1. The club is located next to the dram way, a historic horse drawn railway, linking the mines in Coalpit Heath to the River Avon– see for more details.


Leave a Reply